By Adnan Anwar
Donations, by definition:
1. The act of giving or bestowing; a grant.
2. That which is given as a present; that which is transferred to another gratuitously; a gift.
3. (Legal definition) The act or contract by which a person voluntarily transfers the title to a thing of which he is the owner, from himself to another, without any consideration, as a free gift. --Bouvier.
The basic connotation of the word donation is giving without receiving any consideration in return.
Today, our political leaders are confusing donations with their business of selling nominations. Receiving Taka 5 crores in return for a nomination is surely not donation. It is selling nominations, pure and simple.
Furtnermore, I would like to know where are these so called donations kept. Are they kept in an account in the name of the party, or are they kept in the personal accounts of the leaders and spent as they wish.
Bangladesh Needs You - Make Your Opinion Count
|Become a member of the Pro Reforms Group and contribute your ideas and voice your opinion freely! Subscribe to the Group's e-Newsletter - "HOPE"|
Wednesday, 18 July 2007
By Adnan Anwar
July 19, 2007 - Coalition for Good Governance Seminar
Democracy & Governance
- Growing our way out of trouble
- Policing citizens : View from within
- Let us go against the stream
- Of Democracy & Politics
- Rethinking confrontational politics
- Time to choose
- Civil and uncivil society in Bangladesh
- Where Bangladesh leads the world
- Evolution Bangladeshi-style
- Now overdue : Why rights to due process should be restored
- Buying death at a high price
- Promises yet to be delivered
- Donations vs Nomination Business
- Bangladesh Emergency Six Months On - BBC
- Army chief feels need to review the Constitution
- The vortex of lies and denial
- Roadmap for polls Sunday
- Trouble at the grassroots
- Democracy without a support structure is unsustain...
- Let the nation not forget!
- Bangladesh: Country Prepares for Political Reforms...
- Meaningless Political Reforms
- National Security Council
- Reforms - What & When
- People are not in a hurry
- Abdul Jalil quits Awami League
- Army-backed Reforms Imperil Democracy
- Political future of Bangladesh in abeyance
- Awami League presidium member Tofail puts forward ...
- Lifting of Ban on Indoor Politics
- Need Separate Laws For the Political Parties
- ▼ July (19)